Wednesday 1 January 2014

What a lovely start to 2014


During their Darby and Joan phase back in November 2013 Darby was still a resident of the spare room and Joan was still making and taking tea to him first thing in the morning.

Darby 'I think we should go away for New Years Eve this year ......... to The Ring of Bells'

(oooohhhhh yeeeeessssss my favourite place)

Joan 'Of course we can't .... there won't be  anyone to look after the animals'

Darby 'J will'

Joan 'Have you asked her? She might be doing something'

Darby 'No, but I'm sure she will'

Joan 'I'm sure they'll be booked up anyway...........'

....... and so the reasons as to why they couldn't go kept coming out of Joans mouth!


Last night was New Years Eve and you will have found us walking the dogs, fannying around packing an overnight bag and writing instructions for J .........

At 15.40hrs we checked in at my favourite place and after dumping said overnight bag in the room we took up position on our favourite table in the window drinking wine ...................... well what did you expect??? Its us, its a hostelry and its the end of a crap year!!!

Actually we did only have the one and then retired to our room for tea and biscuits.

Once tarted up we went down to the bar to party......................

My very naughty friend M had phoned the landlord and paid for our first bottle of wine ......... what a lovely start.

As I turned out of the bar to go to the table I saw a couple who I recognised ...... we had met them  there back in May when we stayed for our wedding anniversary .......................... they were back over from Germany........... we got reacquainted ........ what a lovely start.

When we sat down for supper C and I were on the table opposite so we were able to spend the evening chatting .......... what a lovely start.

It was a set menu and I've known for weeks that the main course was Roast beef............... yup I haven't been able to face red meat for months but............... I decided that I wasn't going to ask for something else and that if the worst came to the worst I'd just have to apologise for leaving it.

.................. I didn't have to - it tasted amazing!


At midnight we drank pink champagne with C and I ............... Happy New Year 2014! .................. what a lovely start.

Now ................... I don't care what you think ............. most people think I'm eccentric and away with the fairies but after all the shit this year I think I'm entitled to be ................

On the strike of midnight someone opened the outside door and the lush cool air rushed in and I felt a huge weight lift from me and disappear ....................... I said she felt the same ........ kindred spirits maybe?? dunno ..... too much to drink? .... Not on her part that's for sure..........

I had hoped that the start of 2014 would feel different and that my mojo would come back but I hadn't expected it to happen straight away ..........

............. it really was like someone had waved a magic wand

So we stumbled into bed around 1am.......

And .................guess what??.....  bloody insomnia ruled!















No comments:

Post a Comment